So as the titles states my current brief involves limericks specifically illustrating them. I have decided to use one found limerick and one I have concocted on my own to add some variety. Limerick writing isn’t something I have really done before, at least not since primary school.
After browsing through limericks and thinking up my own I have chosen three that stood out to me and made up my own three to choose from:
A canny young fisher named fisher
Once fished from the edge of a fissure
A fish with a grin
Pulled the fisherman in
Now they’re fishing the fissure for Fisher
There once was a man from Peru
Who had a lot of growing up to do
He’d ring a doorbell
then run like hell
Until they shot him with a .22
As 007 walked by
He heard a wee spider say “Hi”
But shaken he shot
it right there on the spot
As it tried to explain “I’m a spi…”
There was a truck driver called Clyde
Who took his wife along for a ride
but startled by a bee
he drove into the sea
and they were both swept away by the tide
There once was an engineer called Doc
who diffused bombs against the clock
but alas. Too Slow!
and Boom did it go!
leaving naught left but a sock
The was a driver called Greer
who refused to enter third gear
causing traffic to grind
his friends left him behind
as all the other cars cried out and jeered
Like them? The next step is to figure out which I want to illustrate and to do that I plan on doing rough sketches of imagery taken from each of the limericks and see which proves most interesting too draw.
Sites where I got the limericks and that helped me write them
Finished monk reworked from rough sketches done in watercolour, ink and slightly adjusted digitally. I’m mostly happy with it though it took a while for me to be happy with the pose.
Ways I feel I could improve the piece are look into the colour in some sections like the closest leg is a little flat compared to the rest of the skin. I also want to put characters onto backgrounds so the design doesn’t look as plain. Maybe keep and early version of this and then rework it into a set.
The main focus of this character design became experimenting in different dynamic poses. The original pose I went for was fairly static but I realised that this wasn’t what the character I was going for is about. From this I decided the focus would be to make the pose action packed and interesting.
The first pose I came up with was the middle one. It was after this I moved on to experimenting with poses featuring more movement. I decided I liked the top right one most and built up rough line work on top of it to see if I could make it work.
These are a couple of the other poses I looked into. I wanted the character to use a spear as a weapon so tried to look at poses that would allow me to add this.
These two pieces are face and colour studies. I removed the mask because I decided this was more associated with thieves and bandits whereas monks are considered more pure hearted. The larger colour picture I feel needs work in the positioning of the arms and I need to work more on the legs and decide how I want him to be jumping. Maybe more foreshortening needs to be looked into to make the piece less flat.
Final piece done in watercolour, and pen. Character designs taken from quick sketches of observed people in the streets and modified. I am considering reducing the opacity of the text to make it blend in better with the image. The plan was always to add the text digitally but I wasn’t expecting it to stand out as much as it does. Something does need to go in it’s place if not the text though or the signs are blank.
Piece before the text was added.
Idea for final piece. Figures taken from people I took studies of placed on a city background which is built up. I feel like more work needs to be done on the upper parts of it to make it more interesting. The bottom section has more going on.
Above are the studies done of real people drawn quickly as they were walking by.
Brief sketch of what I wanted the layout to be
A scroll banner sort of illustration that represents the different genres in video gaming to advertise the games. I originally had definite areas sectioned off on the piece but then decided to have them semi-interact with them because the piece flowed better when seen as a whole but would still be able to be used in its segments.
These are the actual panel pages done by hand to be scanned in and coloured. While I liked the idea and possibly think this better illustrates the connected words theme I feel like the work itself may have suffered from inexperience in digital colouring at the time.
This is the colouring I did on the piece before I moved onto the new three covers.
Two of the original cover ideas. The cover was always going to be at least the first image and then have the narrative created as a short story comic strip. I changed the connecting between the images to be the cover of the first three issues. The idea for these two covers was refined for my final pieces.
Brief trial on creating font by hand. As much as I tried I couldn’t get a clean finish on it like I would with a found one so chose a found one because I thought it looked more effective.